Mackinac Island

Mackinac Island, Michigan is located in the Straits of Mackinac approximately 7 miles east of the Mackinac Bridge. No automobiles (except for government vehicles) are permitted on Mackinac Island. The most common way to reach Mackinac Island is by ferry from Mackinaw City or St. Ignace.

Native Americans have visited Mackinac Island for over 11,000 years. The first Europeans visited the island in the 1630s. During the American Revolution, the British closed Fort Michilimackinac in present day Mackinaw City and moved the Fort, now called Fort Mackinac, to the Island. Following the Revolution, control of the Straits of Mackinac was turned over to the Americans. The British retook Fort Mackinac for a brief period during the War of 1812.
View Larger Map

Mackinac Island’s strategic location in the center of the Great Lakes and its striking natural beauty have combined to give it a role of outstanding importance in the development of the American economy and cultural values. Contains Fort Mackinac and many other buildings relating to the fur trade. American control of the island was secured by the Treaty of Ghent (1814). Northern headquarters of Astor’s American Fur Company until 1840s.